Forums

Help with the Dutch defense vs London system (for black)

Sort:
ricorat

Recently I've had some problems facing the London system because I play the Dutch defense. While the London isn't very potent against most opening choices of blacks, it happens to be pretty annoying against the Dutch as seen below

So any thoughts? Any help would be much appreciated!

AunTheKnight

Play …e6 first, and if they play Bf4, play …d5 and …c5!

ricorat
AunTheKnight wrote:

1.d4 e6 2.e4 and I'm screwed. I used to play the e6 move order to avoid anti Dutch setups but I realized if they play a French I'm pretty much dead

Kowarenai

levy has some videos you can work with

Thisguy120

never play the dutch 

should solve all your problems as black

ricorat
Kowarenai wrote:

levy has some videos you can work with

Really? I don't think he plays the classical Dutch though?

AunTheKnight
ricorat wrote:
AunTheKnight wrote:

1.d4 e6 2.e4 and I'm screwed. I used to play the e6 move order to avoid anti Dutch setups but I realized if they play a French I'm pretty much dead

Didn’t you use to play the French?

ricorat
Thisguy120 wrote:

never play the dutch 

No man, the Dutch is a lot of fun

ricorat
AunTheKnight wrote:
ricorat wrote:
AunTheKnight wrote:

No I've always been a caro player

Thisguy120
ricorat wrote:
Thisguy120 wrote:

never play the dutch 

idk i think indian game is fun and probably just better even if only slightly plus you don't have to worry about london

KevinOSh

It looks uncomfortable for black, but the engine says white advantage is minimal.

I could not find 2.Bf4 in MCO so it seems that GMs do not think the London system is a serious way to play against the Dutch defense.

I can't recommend any specific moves, but I can see many moves that look at least playable.

AunTheKnight
ricorat wrote:
AunTheKnight wrote:
ricorat wrote:
AunTheKnight wrote:

No I've always been a caro player

Ah. Like @KevinOSh said, it’s probably not that bad. 

ricorat
Thisguy120 wrote:
ricorat wrote:
Thisguy120 wrote:

never play the dutch 

idk i think indian game is fun and probably just better even if only slightly plus you don't have to worry about london

No it's nothing against something like the indian game, I just prefer the Dutch middlegames

ricorat
KevinOSh wrote:

It looks uncomfortable for black, but the engine says white advantage is minimal.

I could not find 2.Bf4 in MCO so it seems that GMs do not think the London system is a serious way to play against the Dutch defense.

I can't recommend any specific moves, but I can see many moves that look at least playable.

The engine's evaluation doesn't mean that much. If you check the GM database the Londo scores pretty well against the Dutch as well

KevinOSh

There are very very few master games that have ever reached the opening position that you posted but here are a couple of examples from the 90s that shows a way for black to win:

ricorat
KevinOSh wrote:

There are very very few master games that have ever reached the opening position that you posted but here are a couple of examples from the 90s that shows a way for black to win:

Thanks for the examples! I'll make sure to take an in depth look at those games later today

AunTheKnight
KevinOSh wrote:

Game 1: Bxe4 was a killer move. 

punter99

If White plays relatively unambitious and doesn't put any pressure on you with something like h3-g4, I guess you could try to go for a setup like this:

ricorat
punter99 wrote:

If White plays relatively unambitious and doesn't put any pressure on you with something like h3-g4, I guess you could try to go for a setup like this:

That's interesting. I typically will play b6-Bb7-Nbd7, but Nc6-Nd7 is worth looking into

Gump_forest

ok simon williams reccomendation is very spicy 

i dont know if u would like it xd