Forums

What opening should I play 2000+?

Sort:
RhysBlunders
I am around 2000 plus and love playing e4 however recently I have had trouble getting anything out of the opening with the ones that I play against lower rated players I was wondering if anyone would recommend me the ruy Lopez for my new main opening against 1e5 for reference the openings that I currently play and my style is against 1 e6 I play the Tarasch French against 1 c5 I play the English attack and Yugoslav and against 1c6 I play the fantasy if not the ruy Lopez what else would you recommend?
KeSetoKaiba

The post is worded unclearly. Are you playing the Ruy Lopez against lower rated players and not getting success with it, or is this your main e4 opening and you are struggling with other openings against lower rated players?

Since you already crossed 2000 rapid on chess.com, you probably already realize you can play pretty much any solid opening as long as it doesn't conflict with your repertoire (transpositional problems tricking you into a different opening you didn't want).

If you aren't getting success with an opening, then you can either use that as a reason to explore and learn other openings, or you can dive deeper into why this opening isn't working for you and then keep improving upon this.

ehgda

Don't look for new openings just improve the one u use

RhysBlunders
KeSetoKaiba wrote:

The post is worded unclearly. Are you playing the Ruy Lopez against lower rated players and not getting success with it, or is this your main e4 opening and you are struggling with other openings against lower rated players?

Since you already crossed 2000 rapid on chess.com, you probably already realize you can play pretty much any solid opening as long as it doesn't conflict with your repertoire (transpositional problems tricking you into a different opening you didn't want).

If you aren't getting success with an opening, then you can either use that as a reason to explore and learn other openings, or you can dive deeper into why this opening isn't working for you and then keep improving upon this.

i am playing the glek currently and am strugging to get early advantages and was wondering if the ruy would be good

Crazy7butZombie

Your account is new, you're already 2000 rapid and you don't know openings. You must be sheeting, I guess.

RhysBlunders
Crazy7butZombie wrote:

Your account is new, you're already 2000 rapid and you don't know openings. You must be sheeting, I guess.

i know openings ive played over the board i am just looking for new openings i also used to play on lichess