Forums

Chess Variant Ideas: Grand Chess, Chess on a really big board

Sort:
alexandermatos

Before we start, I want you to know that this is just a sneak-peak of what I have to offer for 2021. This is not a game thread, so please do not say "sign-up." 

We will start by introducing to you what these two variants have in common. Both variants have an abnormally large chess board, larger than the standard 8x8 battlefield. Fairy pieces are also introduced in both variants. 

Grand Chess

Grand chess is a large-board chess variant invented by Dutch game designer Christian Freeling. The game is played on a 10x10 board, with each side having two additional pieces: the marshal and the cardinal. The marshal combines the powers of a knight and rook, and the cardinal combines the powers of a bishop and knight. The marshal starts on f2/f9, while the cardinal is placed on g2/g9. 

A pawn that reaches the eighth or ninth ranks can elect to either promote or remain a pawn, but once a pawn reaches the first or tenth rank, it must promote. Unlike standard chess, a pawn can only promote to a piece captured of the same color. If there are no captured pieces available, a pawn must stay on the ninth rank, but can still give check. 

The only other rule that is different from standard chess is castling. Castling is forbidden in grand chess (the starting position doesn't even allow it). 

Chess on a really big board

Chess on a really big board is a large-board chess variant invented by Ralph Betza around 1984. It is played on a 16x16 chessboard with 16 pieces and 16 pawns. This variant can be constructed by combining four standard 8x8 boards. 

This variant was created as an outgrowth of Betza's ideas on three-dimensional chess. Betza noticed that an 8x8x8 board for 3D chess would have 512 squares, more than any large version of chess that has ever been created. He then considered large 2D chess variants, mainly on a 16x16 board because such a board required no non-standard equipment to make. He then went full circle in the development of a 16x16x16 3D chessboard, which he called "impossibly large."

The standard rules of chess apply, except for a few following cases:

• An unmoved pawn can move all the way up to the center of the board. Thus, 1. i8 is a legal move. Once a pawn has moved for the very first time, it can only move one step at a time.
  • In castling, the rook moves the same distance as it does in regular chess. Therefore, the king moves further. In a kingside castle, the king would land on the o-file. 
  • The 50-move rule extends to become the 100-move rule. 
  • There are extra fairy pieces that move differently. The notation gets a little funny, so I would prefer if you use the single-letter symbol. Here are some diagrams that help you understand the movement of the pieces:

FD (single-letter symbol D). This piece combines the movements of the ferz and dabbaba. The white circles show where the piece can move. This piece has the ability to jump for all moves. 

WFA (single-letter symbol W). This piece combined the movements of the king and alfil. This piece has the ability to jump for all moves. 

Superknight (NLJ, single-letter symbol J). Combines the movements of the knight, camel, and zebra. Can jump for all moves. 

The archbishop and chancellor combine the powers of the knight, bishop, and rook. The archbishops' notation: (NB, single-letter symbol A), and the chancellor's notation: (RN, single-letter symbol C). You have seen these pieces before under a different name. 

The rose is replaced with the nightrider which can move any number of squares as a knight, but only in one direction.  The nightrider is placed on the f-file in the starting position.

Please let me know if you have any feedback about the variants. If you would rather change something, please let me know first. I want everyone's feedback to make the variants more effective and playable for everyone.

Rodgy

too different for my understanding lol

jmatos22567

mind blown!

alexandermatos

In the second variant, I am replacing the knight on f1 and f16 with the nightrider. The nightrider is a very similar piece to the rose, but with simpler rules. The nightrider can move any number of steps as a knight, but only in the same direction. The nightrider is also commonly used to solve chess puzzles, which is a great way to familiarize yourself with the rules of this piece. 

NobleElevator

oof the 2nd one looks awkwardly big lol

2Ke21-0

"The marshal combines the powers of a bishop and rook, and the cardinal combines the powers of a bishop and knight."

Did you intend to say that the marshall combines the powers of a knight and rook. Because that is how it seems in the image of the Grand Chess board.

huiliwang

Really a 16x16 board.

ericyancovid

How can I play it?

jasperbracero

double decker

luongsonl

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

IjusthangaQueen

Hei, 

is there any implementation of „chess on a really big board“ online, where I can play or download it? Any suggestion would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

zinasolod

WOOOOOW

HGMuller

Embedded in the article where the inventor described this variant there is an Interactive Diagram that can play it (at a fairly low level):

https://www.chessvariants.com/d.betza/chessvar/16x16.html

jimlargon

Thanks for sharing!!!

Ethanyan73

Hi

stoopid18446

What about a 25x99 chess board so moves like v87 can exist for the first time since the games creation centuries ago