Forums

9 months playing and can't even get to 800

Sort:
WholeLottaHoka
Initially I dropped way down playing 10 minute games. I lost a lottt on time. then I learned some stuff: control the center, don't double move, try not to blunder.. it took forever to hit 450. Then had about her recent increase to 620 but have been getting frustrated and blundering. I get flustered working through 5 move calculations move after move just to look and see someone is like 1000 in bullet but playing rapid as a 580.. this isn't the only time I lose but it does happen a lot. I study, practice end games, do puzzles, mess around with lines on analysis.. what should I be doing? I feel like my mind is doing the things but its going embarrassingly slow. I feel like most games I'm a tough opponent and stack up against around 1000 on lichess.. I would expect to be at least around 900 at the year mark but that doesn't even seem possible. any advice?
MrFlawlessness

Chess takes time to master. It took me 2 years to reach 670 elo... But then again, just a few days ago, I was 560 and then I just kinda gained elo really fast. The number one tip is to think before you move, always have a plan and never resign. Believe me, I have been in situations where there is checkmate in 2 for my opponent and they just blunder a draw...

Also, after viewing some of your games, it seems like you struggle a bit in the openings. You should learn opening theory, such as center control, knights first and so on... As of reaching 620 rapid in 9 months is quite good! I dont recommend playing Blitz chess because you need time to think in chess especially if your a beginner. It messes up because you move before you think...

RussBell

Improving Your Chess - Resources for Beginners and Beyond

https://www.chess.com/blog/RussBell/improving-your-chess-resources-for-beginners-and-beyond