Forums

How long did it take you to get an elo of 1000 in chess.

Sort:
PresentColony

I just wanted to know what are the things I just need to do to cross over to an elo of 1000. In 900, it's a bit of a mess as some people are either strong or just weak in chess. So far, my highest rating has been 974.

SFswimmer
Stay solid and do not blunder and try to play puzzles and win I think at least one should work
PresentColony

Sometimes I just feel that I'm not good at chess.

sblee_z

Nobody was born able to walk. You're not bad at chess. You're just early in the process.

Personally, I think it's about reducing the number of mistakes and being able to put the opponent under pressure without compromising your position that makes you better at chess.

Focused, deliberate practice is the fastest way to improve in anything! For chess that would be doing puzzles, reading books, analyzing your games, practicing opening, middlegame, endgame scenarios, and more! 

Good luck and have fun!

HNHNHNHNHNHNHN

Lel I was once 600, we all start somewhere. Just like every human being is saying, puzzles, analyze your games, especially the ones you did bad in, pick an opening for white and black and stick with it, as well as just learn basic checkmate patterns.

ppg70

I also experienced that a lot of people with an elo between 900 and 1000 can be super strong. Some of them were clearly stronger than people in the 1100-1200 range. Why that is I don't know. Maybe some of them dropped their rating on purpose for some reason. I also noticed that rating can vary quite a bit. I'm constantly between 1000-1200 and sometimes it took only a few days to lose about 150 points in rating. So just keep playing, I wouldn't worry to much about the rating. I think in the 900-1200 range it's not as accurate as one may think.

DasBurner

Took me about a month to get from 800 to 1000, although I probably played hundred of rapid games over that one month

ricorat

It took me 4 months to get ther from 500

BroiledRat
It took me under a month to achieve 1000 rapid.

Congratulations on getting to 1000 btw. :)
KeSetoKaiba

It varies a lot from person to person and being slow to pass 1000 rating doesn't mean there isn't hope or that passing 1000 with little effort makes you a prodigy. Most players probably take a month or two of chess study and games to pass 1000 rating just like @DaBabysBurner but @B1ZMARK took several YEARS to pass 1000 (4 or 5 years I think, but then they rocketed over 2000 rating within the following year! This is a unique case of progression though).

To pass 1000 chess.com rating, I recommend these foundational concepts:

- Reviewing the rules of course grin.png Clearly 1000+ rating players typically know a ton more than just the rules of chess, but glancing through the rules isn't a bad idea. This is especially good because some less "basic" rules sometimes confuse newer players. Rules such as en passant, stalemate, or even castling sometimes catches players off guard and this can be avoided by simply reviewing the rules of chess; chess.com has a great hyperlink for this. This same link can be found on the left sidebar via "More" and "Rules"

https://www.chess.com/learn-how-to-play-chess 

- Also foundational to the opening stage in chess is what has been called "chess opening principles." They are a collection of guidelines which tend to result in a solid position out of the opening. They won't always give the "objectively best" or most ambitious lines (although sometimes they will), but chess opening principles are relatively easy to implement and really helps navigate the opening stage of chess safely in most cases. Here is a blog article I wrote on this where I share a little and discuss the 3 chess opening principles I find most useful (developing pieces, castling early and controlling the center).

https://www.chess.com/blog/KeSetoKaiba/opening-principles-again 

- Doing some chess puzzles/tactic routinely as well can help a ton towards the 1000+ milestone because the majority of chess games at those levels at decided by tactical blunders and avoiding hanging pieces. Quality over quantity here. I used to do the chess.com Daily Puzzle habitually each day and I also did exactly 5 tactical puzzles each day. I know 5 sounds like very few to some, but that is how many I did and clearly I've improved past 1000 happy.png More important than solving a lot of puzzles (although that may be useful in some ways too) is to try and really understand the puzzles. Try to calculate the entire solution before moving the first piece; if you get the puzzle wrong then analyze and view the solution.

- Learn theoretical checkmates and theoretical endgames. This might be a little past 1000 level, but you can't go wrong with studying this important element of chess. It was a big confidence boost for me when I had the feeling that I could successfully convert even an extra pawn into a win. happy.png

Some endgames to know at 1000 level or so are:

Queen + King vs King checkmate, Rook + King vs King checkmate, King + Pawn vs King endgames (some are won, lost or drawn with best play, so learning which are what is key and learning how to convert with just an extra pawn once you have King Opposition is foundational to chess endgames).

- Lastly, have fun happy.png Especially with a game like chess, you'll perform better when you treat it like a game. Yes, still take it seriously and try to win...but keep the fun and learning in it too grin.png

Don't stress about normal rating fluctuations too much. If you keep learning and improving your chess knowledge while gaining chess experience, then your rating will naturally catch up to your ability and you'll go up long-term. Good luck on this chess journey and good luck surpassing 1000 chess.com rating happy.png

p.s. Personally, my chess.com rating first stabilized around 1150 naturally when I started. Yes, in less than a month (probably less than a week), I was over 1000 rating on here, but this misleading too though. When I first learned the rules of chess from a friend in elementary school, I didn't even know ratings, grandmasters, tournaments, chess teams or chess sites even existed! 

Looking back I'd estimate my chess rating to have been around 700 back then, but when I joined chess.com about a decade later, I was still "new" to chess (I almost never played since it was just another board game), but I knew the rules at least, so my stabilizing around 1150 or so wasn't entirely from scratch.

These points I mentioned either helped me reach my beginner ratings (sub-1200 or so), or I wish I had known them earlier. Opening principles was something I didn't formally learn until embarrassingly late, but in the meantime, I came to the same basic conclusions through lots of trial and error through my own games and dedicated post-game analysis.

JamesColeman

Most people that have been playing for ages probably can’t give you a proper answer to how long it took to get past 1000 as memories become blurred. It’s tempting to say ‘5 minutes’ but that’s obviously not true and arrogance is not and never will be what I’m all about. I would say though that if you’ve been stuck sub-1000 for a long time then something is wrong and you need to look at what you’re doing to try to improve quite closely and probably change something. 

ninjaswat

a few years OTB. Consistency is the difference between a 900 and 1000 in my opinion.

DasBurner

I should have clarified that i was talking about my chess.com rating. Otb is obviously a lot harder to get 1000 as the players at that range are a lot better than the ones on Chess.com because of the rating inflation

laurengoodkindchess

Hi! My name is Lauren Goodkind and I’m a respected  chess coach and chess YouTuber based in California: 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP5SPSG_sWSYPjqJYMNwL_Q

It probably took me several months to get to 1000.  

For your info, everybody goes at their own pace in chess.  Compare yourself with yourself, and not with others.  

dfgh123

Took me 5 months (internet chess)

Don

I started on Chess.com with a rating of 1200, but I had played in many OTB tournaments before, so I never really dipped below 1100, but stayed around 1100-1200 for about a year. For OTB, believe it or not, I won every single game on the way to 1000 USCF except for one game against a guy named Ben. 

assgatito

2 months once I learned chess.

RobertJames_Fisher
DonRajesh wrote:

I started on Chess.com with a rating of 1200, but I had played in many OTB tournaments before, so I never really dipped below 1100, but stayed around 1100-1200 for about a year. For OTB, believe it or not, I won every single game on the way to 1000 USCF except for one game against a guy named Ben. 

Sorry for the dumb question but how does one start at 1200 on chess.com

KeSetoKaiba
millerd66 wrote:
DonRajesh wrote:

Sorry for the dumb question but how does one start at 1200 on chess.com

They used to ask (and perhaps still do?) what you thought your chess ability was when you create a new account. If you said "beginner" then you would begin at a rating like 1000; "intermediate" 1200 and "advanced" 1800 (but "advanced" they changed to "1500" I think). 

Basically, you choose a starting point without really knowing it. The hope was probably that it will help you stabilize an accurate rating faster, but I feel like many confidently click "advanced" and realize this isn't the case as their rating quickly falls back to a more accurate representation. 

To begin at 1200, they must have clicked whatever option assigns 1200 starting rating. 

p.s. idk the 100% details of which rating lines up with what option, since I've only ever had one chess.com account (this one) and that was created over 4 years ago from now.

PresentColony

Finally, after a year since I started chess, I reached an elo of 1000 in Rapid. I do nt care about Blitz and Bulet as I can work on them later.