Forums

opening?

Sort:
Ciel_876
hey guys I'm planning on improving my openings because I keep falling for traps and sacrifices or being down material in the beginning. I only play with the opening fundamentals but sometimes they are contradicting. any advice on how to improve or suggest a new opening for me?
GooseChess

800-1100 is a rating range full of traps. Not strictly necessary to overcome it but it could be worth learning the 2 or 3 traps in your openings. For instance, if you play e4, learn how to stop the Fried Liver. If you play d4, learn how to stop the Englund. Alternatively you could also play a less common opening, or even a 'hypermodern' openings where you don't attempt to claim center control at all which is usually the set up for most traps.

ChessMasteryOfficial

Choose a few solid openings and stick with them to build familiarity. Since you already play the Caro-Kann, Vienna Game and Alapin, you might want to deepen your knowledge of these instead of adding new ones.

Duckfest
Ciel_876 wrote:
hey guys I'm planning on improving my openings because I keep falling for traps and sacrifices or being down material in the beginning. I only play with the opening fundamentals but sometimes they are contradicting. any advice on how to improve or suggest a new opening for me?

It's impossible give you meaningful recommendations without any information. On your profile there only 4 games shown, all from 5 months ago. (Comment by @ChessMasteryOfficial about the Caro-Kann, Vienna and Alapin confuses me a little. Either he has access to more data than me, or he copy pasted the wrong message).

Anyway, in one of your games, I noticed you got absolutely crushed by the Fried Liver Attack. Purely by coincidence I stumbled onto Eric Rosen's Speedrun series where he talks about that opening specifically.

This series might a good series for you because his focus is on principled opening play, rather than about specific openings. Except for some very common patterns that are worth knowing. Following this speedrun series might suit you better than focusing too much on opening traps. It's worth checking out.

Compadre_J

What openings do you play?