Forums

Stuck at around 1000 ELO

Sort:
Michel525
I do puzzles daily, play 10 minute rapid games. I don’t think I am improving, and my ELO is stuck at around 1000. Do I need a coach?
Stockfish_404YT
I think I can help you a bit, most people stuck in 1000 elo because lack of plan and tactics in middle game
ChessMasteryOfficial

Learn and apply the most important principles of chess. - (core of my teaching)
Always blunder-check your moves.
Solve tactics in the right way.
Analyze your games.
Study games of strong players.
Learn how to be more psychologically resilient.
Work on your time management skills.
Get a coach if you can.

AlphaTeam

My first question is do you review your games, and if so how? If you don't review your games to figure out what you did wrong in the games then you won't improve that fast. reviewing your games can help you find patterns like I consistently lose the game because of xyz. This is something that you can focus on and improve. An important thing to do is to first analyze your games with out the help of a chess computer so that you determine why your lost the game in your own words. The computer may say you are losing at move 10, but someone at your level may not be able to convert the advantage that is on the board which would mean that that is not why you lost that game.

Second is that once you get to 1000 you start to have focus on more things than just tactics (although this is the main thing to focus on still). You need to learn the basics of the endgame up to at least king and pawn endgames, play openings consistently (ex. you play the Ruy Lopez as white, the Sicilian defense against e4, and the Slav Defense against d4), master the principles of the opening, and start learning about how to use your pieces more effectively in the middle game (this gets into strategy and planning).

Here is some analysis of your last two loses.

One note on those loses also. Don't abandon the game just because your position is lost. If you are going to do that just resign, and give your opponent the win.

Here are some resources to help you improve:

Chess Vibes Blunder Check video

Chess Vibes Tactics/Strategy Playlist  (lots of good video in this playlist)

Chess Vibes Endgame Playlist (Videos 1-8, and 16-17 are the most important videos for you)

Hope this helps.

dangerousdu49

You can't analyse your own games at 1000 ELO. I tried and tried again. You will blunder no matter what cause time pressure. (Same on 10 min or 1 hours) Study game of strong player? Useless... You won't play like them.

JamesColeman
dangerousdu49 wrote:

You can't analyse your own games at 1000 ELO. I tried and tried again. You will blunder no matter what cause time pressure. (Same on 10 min or 1 hours) Study game of strong player? Useless... You won't play like them.

You’re probably right that a full game analysis isn’t always going to be that useful but focusing on the main mistakes/blunders and trying to figure out WHY you made the error and actively addressing the root cause of the incorrect thinking can be useful, I know many people at around 1000 level who have done this in a disciplined way (amongst other things of course) and significantly improved. 

Problem is most people will just run their games through an automated analysis and passively look at what the analysis says they should have done in positions they’ll never ever get again…and the cycle repeats itself.

NasirAhmed9191

None of above will work for you!

ppandachess

Hi there,

I am rated over 2400 online (https://www.chess.com/member/ppandachess). I created a free course that will teach you a training plan to improve. Feel free to check it out: https://www.panda-chess.com/daily-improvement-plan

RussBell

Improving Your Chess - Resources for Beginners and Beyond

https://www.chess.com/blog/RussBell/improving-your-chess-resources-for-beginners-and-beyond

dangerousdu49

True. The cycle repeats itself. Indeed... Which one blunders first, loses. Fun fact, chess.com and Ytb. There are a bunch of tutorials on how to play some openings. Guess what? I tried to learn those. Did someone respect Scotch opening in any of my games. And when I see ppl copy paste like those two guys. They don't understand how ppl feels inside

CharlestonViennaGambit
dangerousdu49 wrote:

True. The cycle repeats itself. Indeed... Which one blunders first, loses. Fun fact, chess.com and Ytb. There are a bunch of tutorials on how to play some openings. Guess what? I tried to learn those. Did someone respect Scotch opening in any of my games. And when I see ppl copy paste like those two guys. They don't understand how ppl feels inside

Oh no no no no no. It's the last blunder that loses.

CharlestonViennaGambit
ChessMasteryOfficial wrote:

Learn and apply the most important principles of chess. - (core of my teaching)
Always blunder-check your moves.
Solve tactics in the right way.
Analyze your games.
Study games of strong players.
Learn how to be more psychologically resilient.
Work on your time management skills.
Get a coach if you can.

Well said. Those are all some really good rules to know.

And for Michel, don't forget CCAODW. Look for checks. Any good checks? If not, look for captures. Any good captures? If not, look for attacks. Any good attacks? Then, look at your opponent's moves. Does your move deal with the threat? If not, deal with it. If you don't have a good check, capture, or attack AND your opponent has no threats, develop. If you can't without worsening your position, play a waiting move. If you can do none, you've got a problem!

HAGUNS_Cakamura

Yes

JBarryChess

I'm a 1,000 in Daily, Rapid and close to it in 5 minute blitz. Why am I a 1,000 player?

1. I don't always blunder check.

2. I get tunnel vision.

3. I don't pull back and regroup when I should.

4. I hang too many pawns. Having 3 pawns in the end game when the other guy has 6 is a problem.