Forums

Ding or Gukesh? Who will win the World Chess Championship this year?

Sort:
JayDB24

As we begin to think of the World Chess Championship, we have our two competitors Ding and Gukesh. Who will be the World Champion? We saw an outstanding performance from Gukesh, but will he be able to beat Ding? Vote below!

I will try to keep track of how many votes each player gets!

Gukesh : Votes 66

Ding : Votes 29

Last Update: October 3, 2024

Voting closes October 31st, 2024, at 21:00 UTC

Also post if you think the match could be Hikaru vs Gukesh

JayDB24

I vote Gukesh! 

dvd627
JayDB24
dvd627 wrote:

I assume Ding?

Toad_Red

Ding is a more balanced player, while gukesh plays aggressively. If gukesh makes a mistake, the game will likely turn in ding's direction.

kabirlp
Ding
Cold_W1nter

I'm inclined to Gukseh. He played excellently in the Candidates, ending with 9/14 against an extremely strong field. Ding, against a similar field, played strongly but didn't get nearly as high of a score and lucked his way into the WCC. It just seems Gukesh is overall better prepared and can convert winning advantages where Ding has failed in the past.

mjtcan

Gukesh

mjtcan
JayDB24 wrote:
dvd627 wrote:

I assume Ding?

1's prob gukesh since he's higher up

Lent_Barsen

Gukesh has a very impressive beard for a 17 year old. Any 17 year old with a beard like that has to be a winner!

robo008

Gukesh(edited) i had autocorrect on

Lent_Barsen

Hijack the tread time:

If Gukesh does win, and becomes the first ever teenage WCC, will that prove he's the GOAT, or will it be just a a historical accident?

Keegan

Gukesh will be 18 when he plays the WCC. I believe Ding is a little rusty when you look at the play quality of his last tournaments. My bet is on Gukesh. Or Ding will not defend his title and Hikaru, Fabi, and Ian compete for the chance. Wouldn’t that be awesome. 👏

JayDB24

Updated the votes! Gukesh in the lead, but just by 4 votes!

LesPersonnes1000

Gukesh

magipi

The first big question is if there will be a match or not. Ding needs to resurface soon and play some games.

leolren
Ding
NimzoLarceny

If Ding was in the same form he was during 2021, he'd almost certainly win. Given his illness and his recent performances, I really think Gukesh just might make history.

jankogajdoskoLEM

Gukesh will curbstomp and Become World champ.

V1nce64

Gukesh; Ding is out of form now. I hope he finds back his chess