Forums

1200 rapid looking for improvement

Sort:
Nate_Pi

Like the title says, I’m looking for improvement as a 1200 in rapid. You can look at my games if you like (my last few games as of posting aren’t good 😬)

• I’ve noticed i blunder pawns in the endgame/middlegame
  • I might be ok in tactics and exchanging, but not 100%
  • I also haven’t played rapid/blitz/bullet in a while, mostly do daily

KeSetoKaiba

@Nate_Pi I glanced through several of your last few blitz games. Your games actually look pretty well overall. Ideally, rapid is probably better for improvement than 5 min blitz, but taking into account the time control and ratings, I think your games were solid overall. There were really only two main reasons I sensed you were losing.

1) Tilt. You lost several games in a row (despite playing fairly well for most of those games) and there were a few moments where I think you would have played better moves if not tilted. This also might help explain some of the cases where you blundered pawns.

2) In most of the positions, you got your King castled, but then got it slightly exposed. I'm not saying to never advance pawns in front of your castled king, but you always should be more alert when you do. Here are some videos of mine which might help you:

Nate_Pi
KeSetoKaiba wrote:

@Nate_Pi I glanced through several of your last few blitz games. Your games actually look pretty well overall. Ideally, rapid is probably better for improvement than 5 min blitz, but taking into account the time control and ratings, I think your games were solid overall. There were really only two main reasons I sensed you were losing.

1) Tilt. You lost several games in a row (despite playing fairly well for most of those games) and there were a few moments where I think you would have played better moves if not tilted. This also might help explain some of the cases where you blundered pawns.

2) In most of the positions, you got your King castled, but then got it slightly exposed. I'm not saying to never advance pawns in front of your castled king, but you always should be more alert when you do. Here are some videos of mine which might help you:

Thank you very much for the advice!

TipsyTrickster

More puzzles training is the way every single time

KeSetoKaiba
TipsyTrickster wrote:

More puzzles training is the way every single time

Puzzles can help a ton, but they aren't the most useful in literally every situation. Some chess positions simply have no tactics available and require positional understanding, or concepts like opening principles to fall back on.

Karlito_El_AZT3CO

I feel very much out of place in this discussion due to my hella low elo, but I also don't like to think of this very civilized discussion being buried underneath a pile of rp's