Forums

My rating dropped even more, below 1700 in one night. I feel like quitting.

Sort:
Mogimogmeister

Remember in my last forum post how I said before my highest was 1820 and I've been stuck at 1700 for almost more than a year? Well, now it got super worse, because I fell back down to 1600, in just one night, with 6 losses in a row.

I have been doing everything I can to try to get points back, like doing puzzles, lessons, etc. but nothing seemed to work. I even tried changing my time controls, but still, no change in my rating.

I am going to lose my mind right now because usually no great chess player loses like this.

If I can't get this rating back up to where it should be, I might quit chess. (I apologize if this is harsh)

ArildT6

No, thanks for letting me know. I struggel in my chess club, just loses games without a fight. Blunder my queen and make error posisional. I think this is a face in your life and it will get better. I dont think you should consider your droping points, just try to understand your moves. Maybe try to add new openings. I was at 1600 points long time, and then I came up to 1800. And after long time there, I was at 2000. Then I dropet down again and up. I remember gothamchess told this once, if you have reach a level before, then you gain up on that again. I think he means that your qualified for that. Sometimes I had breaks, and come back when you feel for it. It can be hard sometimes, but just play and have fun happy.png Best regards Arild

UpcommingGM

I have a 2100 rating in Chess.com rapid, and if you look at my rating graph, you'll see there are times when I lose a lot of points. This is normal, and you shouldn't be too hard on yourself when your rating drops.

Tip: take a break and when you decide to start playing try to focus on the game at hand.

2Enchant2

I was about to reach 1700 then I lost 250 points in a row, it happens, sometimes you need to take a step back and make sure your mind is in a healthy state. After that, play a game and see where you are, and go from there.

rufusmod

Chess rating fluctuates by around +- 100 points around your skill level.

If your peak rating is 1820, this means your skill level is 1720, and your floor 1620.

Your current rating is 1680, which is pretty close to your skill level.

So there's nothing to worry about in the short term.

In the long term, to improve, analyze your losses. For example, looking at your latest losses, it seems you're making fairly simple opening mistakes. It can help to create a written-down opening repertoire as a chess.com library.
I also noticed you play multiple openings, which is fine, but since you have very few games (only 16 in the last 30 days), that may become a problem.

Generally, I would recommend you analyze your losses – especially in longer time controls – with a training partner or coach.

Your puzzle stats are weird. You're solving a bunch of extremely hard puzzles in 3 or 4 seconds. This just doesn't look right. Maybe you need to get additional puzzle material, such as a Chessable course or a puzzle book.

TipsyTrickster

Doing puzzles is good, but I would suggest doing puzzles by actually solving them, instead of cheating 😅 Playing an otb event might also been good motivation

JamesColeman

Remember that puzzles, lessons etc are useful in the long term but they’re not going to be a magic fix to pull you out of a slump. And doing them when you’re stressed or about to lose your mind (according to you) is probably going to render them useless anyway.

Try not caring. Because a couple of hundred points in the grand scheme of things, does not make that much difference and guaranteed you’ll always regress to the mean, whether that be dropping from an unnatural high or recovering from an unnatural low. Just let nature take its course and don’t try to force things which are not forceable.

Whenever I go on a bad run I usually just think ‘that was so bad it was hilarious’

EwingKlipspringer

I always know it's the botwall that's cheated me