Forums

OMG! I cannot break 1800

Sort:
Ziryab

I cannot break 1800 in rapid. I was there in August but cannot get back. Before I started playing so much 10 0 in Arena, I was over 1900.

I must be getting worse.

jonzhang

Based on your earlier post I was inspired to give up speed chess. I have been stuck at a mediocre rating for a while now. If anything I don't want to burn more inaccurate sequences and patterns into my mind. I got myself a titled coach, and will try to start with a clean canvas, playing only slow games. Now that OTB chess is resuming, I am motivated more than ever to improve my classical rating, and not an online speed chess rating.

Ziryab

Got up to 1796 after beating a 2000+, then promptly lost the next game to a sub-1700.

Malishious
Ziryab wrote:

Got up to 1796 after beating a 2000+, then promptly lost the next game to a sub-1700.

The amount of times that such a sequence happens, where one game I defeat a far higher rated player in a Swiss tournament and the next game I lose to a far lower is an interesting occurrence. My theory is that in both cases the higher rated player underestimates their opponent and plays far too confidently

Ziryab
Malishious wrote:
Ziryab wrote:

The amount of times that such a sequence happens, where one game I defeat a far higher rated player in a Swiss tournament and the next game I lose to a far lower is an interesting occurrence. My theory is that in both cases the higher rated player underestimates their opponent and plays far too confidently

That’s often the case.

Ziryab
blitz2009 wrote:
Idk why people don’t understand this: If cannot expect your rating to be good if you don’t play a lot. A lot of people are complaining that their rating isn’t good, but the only reason it isn’t good is because they don’t play enough time into the game.

Two things:

This thread is mostly satire.

I play almost every day, sometimes all day. I really should play less. In fact, I play better when I play less.

CannedAsparagus

I don't think you're getting worse, but rather your competition gets stronger. Every day a new chess prodigy is made, with the Internet and all that. People on a global scale are nowadays more inclined to play and study the game than ever before.

jonzhang
blitz2009 wrote:
#7 you play better when you play less? That is the most pathetic thing I have heard all day. No wonder your on tilt. Jesus Christ.

Dang that's quite mean. But holy crap that's some crazy progress on your account. You literally went up incrementally without fail since 2016. with 700+ hours of puzzles training.

Ziryab
blitz2009 wrote:
#7 you play better when you play less? That is the most pathetic thing I have heard all day. No wonder your on tilt. Jesus Christ.

Have you ever struggled with addiction? Have you ever played frantic chess for six hours because you lost one game to a noob?

A solid 5-10 games with some post-game analysis and some actual study is much better for my game than ten hours of blitz.

DasBurner

As someone a massive 2 points above you in rapid, it seems you must have forgotten the opening principles. Develop your pieces to active squares, castle quickly, and control the center. With that, you can get to my level

Ziryab
DasBurner wrote:

As someone a massive 2 points above you in rapid, it seems you must have forgotten the opening principles. Develop your pieces to active squares, castle quickly, and control the center. With that, you can get to my level

Like this.

https://www.chess.com/game/live/30415158957

DasBurner
Ziryab wrote:
DasBurner wrote:

Like this.

er, no. I was thinking more like this: 

https://www.chess.com/game/live/30397736749

Ziryab

Thank you @noceus!

cR1NN
blitz2009 wrote:

It's the same with me. I know it's difficult to understand that sometimes people have different issues. For example, some people learn better visually, and some learn better by listening. 

And some people just choose not to learn.

cR1NN
DasBurner wrote:
Ziryab wrote:
DasBurner wrote:

Like this.

er, no. I was thinking more like this: 

https://www.chess.com/game/live/30397736749

Er, no. I was thinking that there is a convenient feature that allows you to embed 

DasBurner

didn't feel like copy pasting the pgn when I made that

Ziryab
B1ZMARK wrote:
blitz2009 wrote:

It's the same with me. I know it's difficult to understand that sometimes people have different issues. For example, some people learn better visually, and some learn better by listening. 

We had one of those and chess.com gave him a refund so he could close his account.

JZanturo94

Start a new account and call yourself an expert. You've instantly managed to get the beloved 2000 rating.

wollyhood
B1ZMARK wrote:
blitz2009 wrote:

do you learn the best by discussing your games / their games with people? like, listening? just curious due to our past typed conversations and similar lack of stuff we do around chess learning.

llama47
B1ZMARK wrote:
blitz2009 wrote:

Playing less helps a lot of people. Maybe blitz2000 doesn't realize how much some people play...

I remember seeing one forum where the OP is saying playing 50 bullet games was tough or "stressful"

I'm like, hah... only 50?