Forums

Which is better for improving chess for people rated 1000, 10min or 30 min?

Sort:
vishnu2point0

I want to know whether 30min or 10 min to consider playing seriously. I want to learn and get better at chess. 

LondonDungeon

Daily games, 30 min, or 15/10.

vishnu2point0

What is 15/10? What does slash mean?

LondonDungeon

15 min with 10 sec increments added.

vishnu2point0

WHy 30 min and why not 10 min? Any specific reason?

KeSetoKaiba

I've had lots of early success with 10 minute games when starting out. I didn't have the patience, nor the discipline to even know what to look for in a game, so 30 minutes would be me staring at the position, but basically wasting my time.

I liked 10 minutes because I had "plenty" of time to slow down and think more if I wanted.

Granted, 30 minutes (longer time controls in general) are better for improving long term, but I think it is first necessary to teach yourself what to look for first.

Hope this makes sense happy.png

bong711

10 minutes. Additional reason. It's easy to find an opponent. In 30 minutes game, if you get paired with abandoner often, you would want to quit playing chess.

bong711

If you really want to play 30 minutes, play with computer preferably offline. You can set the engine's time to 5 minutes or less.

WSama

I started with a rating of +900, a few years ago. I have played just over a thousand 30 minute games, and I am now rated +1400 rapid. On a good day I can beat a 1800 and call it a good game

30|0 will not only improve your rapid chess, but it will also improve your daily chess, as well as your blitz. It's the perfect time control that simultaneously allows for the same kind of conditions you'll find in correspondence, rapid and blitz.

WSama

I play chess as a brain exercise, so I try to avoid using common traps as much as possible. I want to discover things on my own, and I want opponents who provide a good challenge. It used to be that I'd find quality games in the 30|0 time control.

I've also won a few of 15|10 swiss tournaments here online, and they were quite fun back then.

WSama

kindaspongey

"... Most internet players think that 30 5 is slow, but that is unlikely slow enough to play 'real' chess. You need a game slow enough so that for most of the game you have time to consider all your candidate moves as well as your opponent’s possible replies that at least include his checks, captures, and serious threats, to make sure you can meet all of them. For the average OTB player G/90 is about the fastest, which might be roughly 60 10 online, where there is some delay. But there is no absolute; some people think faster than others and others can play real chess faster because of experience. Many internet players are reluctant to play slower than 30 5 so you might have to settle for that as a 'slow' game." - NM Dan Heisman (2002)

https://web.archive.org/web/20140627010008/http://www.chesscafe.com/text/heisman12.pdf

suunnistus

Longer times! You nedd to have time to think.

First 10 min was enough for me, but already after a week 10 mins was too short ans I switched to 15|10. You need to think. In the beginning you do not know how to think and cant really make use of extra time, but as you get better or want to getter you need to think, analyse, count, evaluate positions etc.

vishnu2point0

Thank you everyone! Helped me a lot to decide what to do!

maui357

i am new to this today. i was given 1000 points when i signed up as a beginner. what does that mean? 

Prometheus_Fuschs
bong711 escribió:

10 minutes. Additional reason. It's easy to find an opponent. In 30 minutes game, if you get paired with abandoner often, you would want to quit playing chess.

NOOOOOOOO, your previous avatar was much cooler.

On the OP, you can learn to make plans or "think" on a long time format by playing daily games.

st0ckfish

15+10

....a proper game needs increment. In the words of venerable grandmaster Alexander Grischuk

"There is no such thing as time pressure when there is increment"

No time trouble = better game = quicker improvement 

suunnistus
maui357 skrev:

i am new to this today. i was given 1000 points when i signed up as a beginner. what does that mean? 

Everyone starts at 1000 points. Its a ranking that showes how good you are, so you can be matched against players on the same skill level. As you play games it will increase or decrease (win, draw or lose) to show your real skill level happy.png

bong711
Prometheus_Fuschs wrote:
bong711 escribió:

NOOOOOOOO, your previous avatar was much cooler.

On the OP, you can learn to make plans or "think" on a long time format by playing daily games.

It's now Hotter wink.png

MarlonBrandosson

I was playing a 30 minute game against a random opponent and with 17:42 left I was 12 points ahead. It was my turn to move and a screen popped up saying I lost because of time??!! I am new so I guess I dont understand this but how could this be? There is no way I could have lost that match.