Forums

Why Chess.com is unfair to play on unless you have premium

Sort:
Blackdragon9406

Chess.com is unfair in fast game modes with no increment unless you have premium or a super fast computer. Here's why:

The game on average can take up 1.0+ GB of storage. That might not seem like a lot. But other browser websites and pages like Gmail, Discord, Youtube and others take up a lot less. Take even another chess website like Lichess. "It's not superior", as many people would probably like to point out. Except that you lag less. Like A LOT less. Lichess? 52 MB. That's 1/20s of the amount of processing for the exact same gameplay, except maybe multipremoving.

Why do I bring this up?

Some people can't physically pay for premium. They don't have a card or they can't convince their parents to use a card for them. So you want to get good at chess? Buy a better computer, not Chess.com's fault. "It's likely our servers aren't the problem" as stated when asking support when  lag occurs. So just because you don't have a better computer or you haven't paid for a lower running cost, you're at a disadvantage. That's the bottom line. It's unfair, and honestly sad.

justbefair

I think that the lag only becomes an issue for people who play bullet.

Blackdragon9406
justbefair wrote:

I think that the lag only becomes an issue for people who play bullet.

I would like to say basically any mode where time crunches are a thing. So this would be any game mode where when you have equally matched players 5 seconds of lag can lose you the game. Also I've lost games that I make one move and legit my entire computer freezes.

HeSacrificedTheRook2
if you don’t like chess.com, leave. Go to lichess, IDC! Just don’t rant about this ‘unfair’ server on the forums. Please.
Blackdragon9406
HeSacrificedTheRook2 wrote:
if you don’t like chess.com, leave. Go to lichess, IDC! Just don’t rant about this ‘unfair’ server on the forums. Please.

Okay so basically you're telling me that I should go use the platform less people play on and is "easier" because its actually fair for all players? Great way to basically tell me I'm poor

ariel2350
Blackdragon9406 wrote:

Okay so basically you're telling me that I should go use the platform less people play on and is "easier" because its actually fair for all players? Great way to basically tell me I'm poor

Who told less ppl play there? You'll get stronger and more established players there, instead of these ppl who cheat constantly and trash talk a lot. Plus you will get decent quality of opponents, unlike here, where even lowly-rated 1700s perform like 2500 rated master and crush everyone, especially in arenas as well as normal play.

Jordi_Agost
Blackdragon9406 escribió:

Chess.com is unfair in fast game modes with no increment unless you have premium or a super fast computer. Here's why:

The game on average can take up 1.0+ GB of storage. That might not seem like a lot. But other browser websites and pages like Gmail, Discord, Youtube and others take up a lot less. Take even another chess website like Lichess. "It's not superior", as many people would probably like to point out. Except that you lag less. Like A LOT less. Lichess? 52 MB. That's 1/20s of the amount of processing for the exact same gameplay, except maybe multipremoving.
Why do I bring this up?
Some people can't physically pay for premium. They don't have a card or they can't convince their parents to use a card for them. So you want to get good at chess? Buy a better computer, not Chess.com's fault. "It's likely our servers aren't the problem" as stated when asking support when lag occurs. So just because you don't have a better computer or you haven't paid for a lower running cost, you're at a disadvantage. That's the bottom line. It's unfair, and honestly sad.

Its certainly a problem, although I think 1 Gb is exagerated

Duckfest
Blackdragon9406 wrote:

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You're not willing to play on Lichess, the opensource platform that is available for you to play unlimited amount of games, lessons and engine analysis all for free because of the hard work other people put in, because you believe it's beneath you to use a platform with less people on it?

Instead you are here on chess.com where you can play unlimited games as well, plus lots of other services. For free because they can run their business in such a way that they have enough income from their memberships to pay their staff, that they don't need to charge everyone. Combined with some advertisement, you can play here for free.

No one is telling you that you are poor. You are ungrateful for the free services that you receive,

Gupta3612

Chess.com has to do this, because they are a for-profit company. Lichess relies on donations to stay open, and, to be honest, the UI is much worse. As for chess.com, they don't need to rely on user donations, since they make their money through a membership, which is fair, however it is just inconvenient to a lot of people. At the end of the day, you are paying for a better user interface, and a larger playing base.

Gupta3612
ariel2350 wrote:
Blackdragon9406 wrote:

Who told less ppl play there? You'll get stronger and more established players there, instead of these ppl who cheat constantly and trash talk a lot. Plus you will get decent quality of opponents, unlike here, where even lowly-rated 1700s perform like 2500 rated master and crush everyone, especially in arenas as well as normal play.

You do realize that chess.com has a far more advanced algorithm for catching cheaters than lichess. It also has 8 times as many players. This doesn't mean that "everyone trash talks and cheats", in hundreds of games you play, less than 5 are opponents who are trash talkers and cheaters, more likely.

sqjs

Womp Womp, go play on Lichess if all you want to do is rant

Jordi_Agost
sqjs escribió:

Womp Womp, go play on Lichess if all you want to do is rant

keep calm

SliverWoIf
#2i played a game of blitz, like move 5 the servers disconnected for like 30 seconds, I left and reopened the app and after like 25 seconds of loading it finally let me play my game
CharlestonViennaGambit
Blackdragon9406 wrote:

Why do I bring this up?
Some people can't physically pay for premium. They don't have a card or they can't convince their parents to use a card for them. So you want to get good at chess? Buy a better computer, not Chess.com's fault. "It's likely our servers aren't the problem" as stated when asking support when lag occurs. So just because you don't have a better computer or you haven't paid for a lower running cost, you're at a disadvantage. That's the bottom line. It's unfair, and honestly sad.

By any chance, did your greenhouse teach you not only about how to run the place, but how to shut up? Because none of that is true sooooo....

Emperor_Renov

I believe that Chess.com has a very good interface, though the moderation is a bit poor. Many people gat banned for small things, just because people who have bad intentions do those same things for attention. There is one player named Macca who was IP banned because he was speaking about his mental health problems and thoughts, but it was proven that a hacker said these things on his account. Chess.com does have good staff, but with support, it is a bit iffy. Sometimes you'll be connected with a kind staff member who will help you right away, and sometimes you will get a staff member who is a jerk and either turns you down or doesn't do anything for you for months at a time. Not to mention that they are quite biased on their policies, typically helping people with memberships rather than those who can't afford/don't want them. Overall, though, the Chess.com community is strong. If you want to see proof of their unfair moderating system, there is a forum in the OTF forums here: https://www.chess.com/forum/view/off-topic/dear-chess-com-support-107270115